Sunday Feb 24
1. 6 Month Sprint
The 6 Month Sprint is a growth category. Whereas most of the other categories would be “Showers” (as in to show), this category is for “Growers”. At the end of August 2018, 34 brave souls shaved their beard clean, and those who stuck it out will be on the stage showing what they have grown over the past 6 months. Competitors should be judged on overall growth.
*After this category, all 6 Month Sprint competitors are given the option to enter their choice of any of the remaining 14 categories. Competitors in the 6 Month Sprint category have or were shaved clean in August to compete in this category.
2. Shenandoah/Donegal/Whaler - The Shenandoah/Donegal/Whaler will consist of all beards that would otherwise be considered full beards if they had a moustache. In other words, all beards with no moustaches that connect the top of the ear on one side of the face to the same point of the opposite side of the face.
3. Goatee - All goatees must have a 2” gap of bald or otherwise shaved skin between the bottom of the earlobe and the beginning of the goatee. This strip of bare skin would normally be where sideburns would be. All goatees are permitted to have an incorporated moustache, but it is not required. Goatee will be judged on overall fit to the competitor, health of hair and level of awesomeness. Styling aids are permitted, but excessive use of aids will result in a deduction of stand-alone value.
4. Sideburns/Chops - Sideburns will be regulated to all beards being grown from above or even with the top of each ear, and come down towards the chin but do not meet at the chin; the chin must have a minimum of 2” shaved area that creates a “skin moat” so the left and right side of the chops do not obviously meet. However, the sideboards may be grown and worn upwards and create a rendezvous above the lip, where they can unite in the Canal De Moustache. This rendezvous is permitted, and while friendly, it is not required.
5. Partial Beard Freestyle - Partial Beard Freestyle includes any freestyle beard that is styled with the base facial hair used having the recognizable characteristics of a Partial Beard (any beard that is styled and that is not a “full beard”, excluding partial upper beards, sometimes referred to as Moustaches).
6. Natural Moustache - Judges will be looking for a natural moustache with no styling aids present. The moustache must not begin protrusion from the skin at a distance further than 1.5 cm beyond the corner of the wearers mouth. Any length of moustache hairs are accepted.
7. Styled Moustache - The Styled Moustache is considered to be a moustache that does not begin to grow out of the face at a distance further than 1.5cm from the corner of the wearers mouth, but the moustache hairs themselves will have no regulation on length. Any or all styling aids will be permitted and some styling is required.
8. Craft Natural/Realistic - This Craft/Realistic Category requires a crafted, realistic looking beard. There are no other regulations. Beards that maintain their shape/lift/buoyancy without the additional aid of the wearers own appendages will be rewarded with higher scores.
9. Craft Fantasy/Creative - For this category, the general idea of the creation should be able to be recognized as beardish or otherwise beard-like in shape, nature, or essence of origin in regards to the human body. There are no restrictions on materials to be used, except for what may possibly be illegal or dangerous to others. The creation must be able to hang freely from the face or general head/upper torso area without persistent help from the appendages of the wearer. Important tip: Have Fun!
10. Best Groomed - A well-presented beard, but also the overall groomed presentation from head to toe. Styling Aids permitted, all lengths accepted.
11. Full Beard Styled Moustache - Full beard of any style with minimal to zero styling aids, Moustache of any size styled in a manner as to be the predominant facial hair feature of the face.
12. Full Beard Freestyle - The full bearded contestant will have the freedom to do with their beard what they will; although additional structural materials will diminish overall impressiveness. Styling aids allowed.
13. Full Beard Under 1ft - Full beard under 1 foot is any full beard that is under 1 foot as measured from the bottom lip of the wearer. Though mild styling aids are permitted, judges will score with a less-is-more-approach to styling aids. *Note: Any beard styled outside a “normal” range of beard wearing will be placed in the freestyle category.
14. Full Beard Over 1ft - Any natural, full beard at #CASI12 that is over 1 foot in length and less than 2 feet in length will be placed in this category. Mild Styling aids accepted. Just because you can add something, does not mean that you should. This rule applies to this beard category and the presence of styling aids. *Note: Any beard styled outside a “normal” range of beard wearing will be placed in the freestyle category.
15. Full Beard over 2ft - Natural Full beard as measured from the bottom lip of the wearer. No styling aids.
Specialty Awards It is possible that you will have input on deciding who receives these awards, but it is not guaranteed that you will have input on deciding who receives these awards.
Best In Show - The best of the 15 1st place winners from each category. Possibly decided by crowd response, we’ll figure it out “on the fly”.
Gnarliest Beard - Traditional Come and Shave it Category, but we decided to award it separate from other chosen categories.
Look-Alike Award - Award for the competitor that did the best job at looking like someone else, either of fame or beard culture notoriety.
Big Joe Johnson Showmanship Award - Award given for showmanship and class, in memory of or friend Big Joe Johnson who has left this mortal coil.